Nursery Field Manager
Job Purpose: The Nursery Field Manager at Fernbrook Nursery oversees the entire maintenance of 400 acres of balled and Burlapped (B&B) trees and shrubs. The manager also supervises the shipment and distribution of all nursery material produced at the farm. The manager works directly with the President, Salespeople, Greenhouse Manager, Field supervisors, and Laborers of Fernbrook to ensure a smooth flow of product to our customers.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain daily job functions for a work crew of 20 or more people.
- Organize and supervise digging crews working at multiple locations.
- Tag all plant material prior to digging duties.
- Train existing and new employees.
- Hire employees based on current labor needs of the nursery.
- Work directly with sales to produce confirmations and invoices of all sales.
- Supervise the loading and shipping of all sale orders.
- Work within the constraints of an annual budget determined by the president.
- Purchase materials and supplies needed to maintain and ship all B&B plants.
- Collaborate with the president and sales office to plan for future nursery crops.
- Schedule tours and site visits with clients throughout the year.
- Schedule maintenance and repair services for all equipment and vehicles operated at the farm.
- Recommend equipment and vehicle purchases to maintain a well-running fleet.
- Perform a semiannual inventory of Fernbrook’s B&B material.
- Attending marketing conferences to promote Fernbrook Nursery.
- Attending educational conferences to maintain professional CEUs.
- Maintain the highest level of quality in plant material for our customers.
Individuals applying for this position must have a minimum of an associate degree in science with a strong knowledge of the identification and growth habit of woody plants in the Mid-Atlantic region. A degree in Plant Science or Horticulture is preferred. Individuals should have a minimum of three (3) years of experience as a supervisor of outdoor work crews.
- Applicants should possess sufficient comprehension of the basic principles and terminology of plants and their life cycle.
- Applicants must possess the ability to communicate job functions clearly to fellow employees and other supervisors.
- Spanish as a second language is recommended.
- Applicants should possess the ability to solve problems when they arise, advise on technical matters, and to serve as a resource on work related subjects for others in the organization.
- Applicants should possess sufficient knowledge on the operations of equipment including Skid Steers, tractors, and trucks.
- Applicants should possess the ability to use hand shears and pruning tools.
- Applicants must possess the ability to generate a business letter and spread sheets.
- This position requires an individual to work out in the elements at least 90% of the time.
- Exposures encountered can include hazardous materials, loud noises, or extreme cold/heat, rain, and snow.
- Duties include some weekend work, travel, attendance of meetings and maintaining professional accreditation.
- Applicant must be able to lift a minimum of 50 pounds.
This is a full-time, 12 month position and a salary commensurate with experience.